Hashtags are all over the place, and I do imply all over the place!
Now you can discover them on each main social community (excluding LinkedIn), and greater than doubtless, your clients or shoppers are already utilizing them indirectly or one other.
There actually are many ways in which you need to use hashtags for what you are promoting’s social media advertising and marketing, however within the curiosity of time, I’m going to focus solely on the way to create and use a hashtag to your subsequent occasion.
Why ought to I exploit a hashtag for my occasion?
As a small enterprise proprietor or nonprofit skilled, you’re placing on all types of occasions to point out your experience, purchase new shoppers, or construct out your community of supporters to your trigger. It’s time to make use of hashtags to extend consciousness and the visibility of your occasions.
By together with a hashtag in your promotions, commentary, and post-event thank yous, you’re not solely pulling a dialog collectively, however you’re additionally making it straightforward for individuals to seek out images and attendee interactions together with your occasion.
How do I create a hashtag for my occasion?
Making a hashtag is straightforward. Step one is developing with a hashtag that can be straightforward for individuals to make use of and drive extra visibility to your occasion.
Your occasion hashtag ought to be:
- Distinctive: Search Twitter for the hashtag you take into account. If it has been used just lately, you’ll need to rethink it. If not, have at it!
- Quick: Keep in mind, on Twitter you solely have 280 characters to make use of. As a result of that’s the place many of the dialog can be going down, it’s essential ensure to maintain your hashtag brief.
- Associated: Your hashtag ought to mirror your occasion. Ex: Small Enterprise Week (#SBW2020) or a Fixed Contact Vacation Planning Occasion (#CCHoliday).
- Memorable: You need your attendees to make use of this hashtag when they’re speaking about your occasion. This implies that you really want them to have the ability to bear in mind what hashtag is related to the occasion, with out them having to attempt to discover it each time they wish to speak about your occasion.
Listed here are some good examples of well-liked occasion hashtags:
How will anybody learn about my hashtag?
Much like some other advertising and marketing marketing campaign, if you don’t correctly put it up for sale nobody will comprehend it exists. The identical goes to your new hashtag.
Your hashtag ought to be all over the place! However let’s break it down just a little extra:
Earlier than your occasion
- Construct consciousness: Your hashtag ought to be included in all social promotions of your occasion.
- Pay attention: Monitor your hashtag on social websites so you possibly can thank individuals who use your hashtag when mentioning that they’ll be attending your occasion (or, higher but, selling your occasion for you).
- Be seen: Be sure to incorporate your occasion hashtag in your registration web page, informing attendees to “Be part of the Dialog.”
Throughout your occasion
- Create conversations: Use a program like tweetbeam.com (that’s my favourite) to venture the dialog on a display screen. This can entice others to affix the dialog throughout your occasion.
- Invite: Have any and all your audio system announce the hashtag and level out your tweetbeam stream.
- Take part: Be sure to have interaction together with your attendees who’re utilizing the hashtag. Retweet them and ask questions. Simply be sure you’re not too invasive. This isn’t the place so that you can promote what you are promoting.
Tip: Use your social media instruments to schedule a few tweets round your occasion content material earlier than the occasion begins — simply in case you don’t have time to publish in the course of the occasion.
After your occasion
- Write digital thanks playing cards: You now have a social listing of all your engaged attendees. Take the time to thank them individually for becoming a member of you at your occasion.
- Hold the dialog going: Proceed to comply with the hashtag till the dialog dies. You’ll be stunned how a lot individuals will proceed to speak about an important occasion. Proceed to retweet and point out the items of nice content material your attendees are sharing.
- Collect multimedia from the occasion: Trying to find your hashtag on particular person social networks or utilizing a program like Storify to drag all networks collectively lets you view all pictures and/or movies that have been shared (together with all different nice content material) round your occasion.
Tip: Each image, quote, and hashtag used to your occasion could make nice content material for a brand new Fb album, your web site, or a Pinterest Board.
How do I handle my occasion hashtag?
Hashtags could be very seen, similar to all social promotions. Moderating is the important thing to a profitable hashtag. The very last thing you need is somebody selling your occasion, or worse, asking you a query about your occasion and nobody is there to reply.
Managing occasions could be exhausting sufficient, so be sure you create a plan to additionally handle your occasion hashtag.
Tip: Making a stream particularly to your occasion hashtag on a platform like Hootsuite can actually aid you maintain observe of the dialog.
Does utilizing a hashtag expose my enterprise to spam?
Sure, it could possibly. Nevertheless, you need to pat your self on the again if this occurs. The one time you’ll discover spammers utilizing a particular hashtag is that if it’s a “trending hashtag.”
A trending hashtag is a hashtag that’s getting used greater than they have been beforehand. The trending listing is on Twitter to assist individuals discover “breaking information” from the world over in real-time.
So if you happen to’ve made the “trending listing” and start to have spammers invade your hashtag, DO NOT PANIC! This implies you’re wildly profitable!
Tip: Put up about the truth that there are spammers, so your attendees don’t by accident click on on something the spammers are sharing.
Questioning what a hashtag stream appears to be like like?
Why not take a few minutes proper now, to take a look at the #SmallBizSaturday stream? One of the best ways to be taught a brand new idea on social media is to only leap in and see how others are utilizing it.
For extra assist together with your social media advertising and marketing, signal as much as obtain our Hints & Suggestions e-newsletter.