This entry was posted on Mar 31, 2022 by Charlotte Bell.
You’d assume it might be simple. Yoga props, similar to yoga blocks and straps, enhance the benefit in so many poses. But, on this aggressive tradition, many individuals have come to consider yoga props as “crutches” for different folks, , those who simply can’t do the “full” pose.
To make certain, yoga props can stage the sphere. Particularly in standing poses—assume Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)—a well-placed yoga block can assist much less versatile folks preserve structural integrity. Utilizing a yoga strap in seated ahead bends can enable anybody to attach arms with ft with out sacrificing the well being of the backbone.
However yoga props may profit versatile folks. For instance, in Triangle Pose, versatile college students will usually collapse into their joints after they place their backside hand on the ground—as a result of they will. Elevating a versatile pupil up by inserting a block below their backside hand can assist them stabilize their joints. It’s all about stability, in any case. Hypermobile college students want stability as a lot as stiff college students profit from flexibility.
Yoga Props for Everybody
However how do you persuade everybody to embrace yoga props of their observe? Right here’s what I’ve discovered:
Begin by introducing poses that profit from everybody utilizing yoga props. While you single out the much less versatile folks time after time, college students will develop a stigma round utilizing props. Listed below are three poses that require yoga props for everybody in your class:
- Talasana (Palm Tree Pose) with a yoga strap
- Supported Matsyasana (Fish Pose) with yoga blocks: That is the pose that first motivated me to purchase blocks of my very own. Just about everybody can profit from passively increasing the chest and shoulder joints.
- Supta Padangusthasana (Supine Leg Stretch Pose): Utilizing a strap is helpful for just about each practitioner on this collection. Even when versatile folks can simply seize the foot of the prolonged leg with their arms, it’s usually not with out sacrificing the alignment of the remainder of the physique.
Instruct everybody to get a block or a strap in different poses too. While you say, “Everybody, get a block,” there’s no stigma round who’s utilizing yoga props and who isn’t. Have everybody, together with versatile folks, strive these poses utilizing blocks and straps for additional assist:
- Prasarita Padottanasana (Large-Legged Ahead Bend): On this pose, have everybody place blocks below their arms in order that their torsos are parallel to the ground. This may create extra respiration area for everybody, together with versatile of us.
- Janu Sirsasana (Head-of-the-Knee Pose): Connecting hand to foot with a strap on this seated ahead bend creates a dynamic connection that lengthens the backbone and engages the core. You need to use a strap this fashion in Paschimottanasana (Seated Ahead Bend) as nicely.
Lastly, remind your college students that the purpose is to not expertise excessive sensation. The intention of asana observe is to search out that candy spot between stability and suppleness. Asana observe is supposed to make the physique a peaceable surroundings for the thoughts. Utilizing yoga props, regardless of how robust or versatile you might be, can assist you discover good stability.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and commenced instructing in 1986. Charlotte is the writer of Conscious Yoga, Conscious Life: A Information for On a regular basis Apply and Yoga for Meditators, each revealed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and folks sextet Purple Rock Rondo, whose DVD gained two Emmy awards in 2010.