If you wish to serve one thing conventional but distinctive for Thanksgiving dessert, do that spiced chai pumpkin meringue pie. This recipe combines my tried-and-true flaky pie crust, clean pumpkin pie filling, and a candy meringue topping, and is flavored all through with warming chai spices.
That is pumpkin pie with a twist!
You all know the way a lot I really like this nice pumpkin pie recipe. It’s a reader favourite too, particularly for Thanksgiving. However this yr I felt like doing issues slightly otherwise—spicing issues up a bit. Chai spicing them up, if you’ll. When you’ve ever had bother deciding whether or not to order a pumpkin spice latte or a chai latte, this pie is for you!
Why You’ll Love This Spiced Chai Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- This can be a spice-forward pumpkin pie, with fragrant chai spices in each the filling & the meringue.
- Clean, creamy pumpkin filling sits atop a buttery, flaky pie crust.
- Candy meringue topping tastes like toasted marshmallows.
- A beautiful mixture of candy + spicy!
- Pumpkin pie freezes effectively, so you can also make it forward after which add the topping earlier than serving.
You Want a Par-Baked Pie Crust
Like my conventional pumpkin pie recipe, at this time’s spiced chai pumpkin meringue pie contains partially blind-baking the pie crust, which signifies that we’re pre-baking the crust earlier than including the filling. Are you aware the right way to blind bake pie crust? Let’s evaluation:
- Make pie dough forward of time, then refrigerate or freeze till you’re able to make the pie. Pie crust should chill for a minimum of 2 hours earlier than rolling out. You need to use both my favourite pie crust or my all butter pie crust recipe. I want the shortening/butter mix in my pie crust as a result of the shortening guarantees that prized flaky texture.
- Roll the dough out, then match right into a 9-inch pie dish. Crimp or flute the sides. My trick to lovely edges: don’t trim the surplus pie dough. See step 2 within the printable recipe beneath.
- Brush the sides with egg wash: Because you want so many egg whites for the meringue topping, go forward and use one of many yolks to your egg wash. An egg wash is usually an entire egg blended with some milk, however right here you possibly can simply use one of many leftover egg yolks and blend that with milk.
- Chill the formed pie crust for a minimum of half-hour. This prevents shrinking. Keep in mind that pie dough should be chilly when it hits the oven. You’ll be able to chill the formed crust earlier than or after you fill with pie weights (subsequent step).
- Fill with pie weights. Because the pie dough bakes, its fats will soften. The melting fats causes the pie crust to shrink down the perimeters of the pie dish. To forestall the pie dough from fully shedding its form, weigh it down with pie weights. Rigorously line the pie dough with parchment paper first, then pour in pie weights and even dry beans. (Word: 2 packs of these pie weights are wanted.)
- Bake till the sides are comparatively set, about 10 minutes.
- Take away pie weights + parchment paper, then dock the crust, add slightly egg wash across the edges, and bake for slightly longer.
Let me present you this course of in just a few pictures. Right here is the pie dough formed into the pie dish. You’ll be able to crimp the sides with a fork or you possibly can flute them. Now, add some parchment paper and pie weights:
Bake the crust with the weights for less than about 10 minutes, to assist set its form. Then take away the pie weights and dock the crust with a fork.
FAQ: What Does “Dock the Crust” Imply? As a result of it’s coated with weights, the underside of the pie crust doesn’t actually prepare dinner. That’s a simple repair. As soon as the sides of the crust have evenly browned, rigorously take away the parchment paper + weights, then let the crust prepare dinner slightly longer by itself. However earlier than you come back the pie crust to the oven, use a fork to prick holes all around the backside of the pie crust. This enables steam to flee and prevents the crust from puffing up an excessive amount of. Pricking holes within the crust can also be known as “docking” the pie crust.
Brush an egg wash throughout the sides earlier than returning the pie crust to the oven for about 7-8 extra minutes, with out the weights AND with out the filling.
FAQ: What Is an Egg Wash? An egg wash is what offers the pie crust its golden sheen. Pie crust seems very uninteresting with out it. To make an egg wash, merely beat an egg with a Tablespoon of milk. As a result of we’d like so many egg whites for the meringue topping, you possibly can simply use an egg yolk + milk for the egg wash for this pie, as an alternative of cracking one other complete egg.
Now that you’ve got the crust able to go, let’s transfer on to the filling. First, make the spice combine.
Seize These Spices for the Chai Spice Combine
- Floor cinnamon
- Floor ginger
- Floor cardamom
- Floor allspice
- Floor cloves (or substitute nutmeg, if most popular)
This spice mix is much like pumpkin pie spice, however the addition of natural cardamom adjustments the flavour profile with its fragrant heat. I really like utilizing aromatic chai spices in baked items, like chai spiced cinnamon swirl Bundt cake, apple pie with chai spices, and chai latte cupcakes.
Different Substances within the Filling
- Pumpkin Puree: Canned pumpkin is greatest for this pie, however if you wish to use puree from recent pumpkin, evenly blot out some moisture it earlier than utilizing. Bake time could also be longer.
- Eggs: Eggs arrange the pumpkin pie filling. They provide the filling its wealthy, luxurious texture.
- Brown Sugar: The molasses in brown sugar provides a depth of taste to the filling.
- Cornstarch: A starch thickener is likely one of the most necessary components in a creamy pie filling, corresponding to this coconut cream pie, to essentially assist arrange the pie. Makes it slightly sturdier and agency, whereas protecting every thing clean.
- Salt: Taste enhancer, a key ingredient.
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream makes pumpkin pie creamy and silky clean.
- Entire Milk: Don’t substitute a lower-fat milk—the fats in complete milk is required.
Listed below are the components you want, plus egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar for the meringue topping.
Whisk the filling components collectively, after which pour into the nice and cozy par-baked crust. The pie takes about 55-60 minutes within the oven.
Chai pumpkin pie! However let’s not cease there…
Chai Spice Meringue Topping
I typically make 2 varieties of meringue toppings for pies. The primary is a extremely fluffy topping that I take advantage of on lemon meringue pie. The second, which is what we’re making for this spiced chai pumpkin meringue pie, is extra of a billowy, comfortable and creamy topping. It’s mainly Swiss meringue buttercream, solely with out the butter. And it tastes like melted marshmallows!
I take advantage of this topping usually and have a complete separate put up about the right way to make selfmade marshmallow meringue; it’s truly what I take advantage of because the topping for brownie baked Alaska! I barely lowered the portions in at this time’s model so it yields much less, and I additionally lowered the sugar and overlooked the vanilla so you possibly can actually style the chai spices.
You want room-temperature egg whites, sugar, slightly cream of tartar, a number of the remaining chai spice combine, your range, and a mixer. Cream of tartar is a non-negotiable as a result of the egg whites gained’t arrange very effectively with out it. And because you’ll have cream of tartar, a batch of quick-and-easy snickerdoodles on the aspect is all the time a good suggestion. 😉
Gently prepare dinner the three components collectively in a double boiler OR in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk consistently till sugar is dissolved and combination has thinned out. The combination might be thick and cheesy at first, then skinny out and seem frothy on prime. (As you possibly can see above, left.) As famous within the printable recipe beneath, you need to use your finger to check for doneness or an instantaneous learn thermometer. Switch combination to your mixer, add some extra of your chai spice combine, and beat till stiff peaks kind, pictured above on the best.
3 Useful Ideas for the Meringue Topping:
- You might want to separate your eggs as a result of meringue is constituted of egg whites. Use 1 of the leftover yolks to your egg wash on the crust.
- Room-temperature egg whites whip quicker, and right into a higher quantity, than chilly egg whites. So be sure your egg whites are at room temperature earlier than beginning the meringue.
- Toasting is elective, however you get the added bonus of a caramelized sugar/toasted marshmallow taste on prime of your pie. You need to use a kitchen torch. I hardly ever use mine, however after I want it, I’m very grateful I’ve one. It’s wanted for treats like crème brûlée, s’mores brownie cupcakes, and, in fact, meringue-topped pies. As a substitute of a torch, you need to use your oven. Preheat to 450°F (232°C), and bake till the meringue begins to brown, normally about 2–3 minutes—preserve an in depth eye on it. You would additionally use the broiler, however I discover this technique shortly burns the uncovered crust, so I typically don’t advocate it until you cowl simply the crust with some aluminum foil.
If you wish to skip the meringue topping, you possibly can serve this pie plain or topped with whipped cream. (Be at liberty so as to add a number of the chai spice combine, to style, to the whipped cream components earlier than you begin whipping it.)
Warming chai spices infuse each the pumpkin filling and meringue topping with impeccable taste on this spiced chai pumpkin meringue pie. Par-baking the pie crust is a vital step, because the crust takes longer than the filling to correctly bake by means of.
Chai Spice Combine
- No less than 2 hours forward, make the pie dough: Make the pie crust by means of step 5 in keeping with my instructions and video tutorial in my pie crust recipe. Make pie dough prematurely as a result of it wants to sit back within the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours earlier than rolling out (step 3). The recipe makes 2 crusts, and also you solely want 1 for this pie, so save the opposite for one other pie.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the chilled pie crust: Take away 1 disc of pie dough from the fridge. On a evenly floured work floor, roll the dough out right into a 12-inch circle. Make sure that to show the dough a couple of quarter flip after each few rolls. Rigorously place the dough right into a 9-inch pie dish. Tuck it in together with your fingers, ensuring it’s tightly pressed into the pie dish. Fold any dough overhang again into the dish to kind a thick rim across the edges. Crimp the sides with a fork or flute the sides together with your fingers.
- Par-bake the crust: Line the pie crust with parchment paper. Crunching up the parchment paper is useful so that you could simply form it into the crust. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. (Word that you will want a minimum of 2 customary units of pie weights to suit.) Make sure that the weights/beans are evenly distributed across the pie dish. Par-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Rigorously take away the parchment paper/pie weights. Brush edges evenly with egg wash. Prick the underside of the crust throughout with a fork to create steam vents and return crust (with out weights) to the oven for 7–8 extra minutes or till the underside is *simply* beginning to brown. (Evaluation this the right way to par-bake pie crust web page in case you want additional assist with this par-baking step.)
- Make the pumpkin pie filling: Whisk the pumpkin, 2 eggs, and brown sugar collectively till mixed. Add the cornstarch, salt, 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of the chai spice combine, heavy cream, and milk. Vigorously whisk till every thing is mixed. (You’ll have loads of chai spice combine, so if you wish to enhance to 2 and three/4 teaspoons, you possibly can… the additional deep taste is scrumptious.)
- Pour pumpkin pie filling into the nice and cozy crust. Bake the pie till the middle is sort of set, about 55–60 minutes. A small a part of the middle might be a bit wobbly—that’s okay. After 25 minutes of baking, remember to cowl the sides of the crust with aluminum foil or use a pie crust defend to forestall the sides from getting too brown. (See this put up on the greatest instruments for baking pies for the right way to make a pie crust defend out of foil.) Begin checking for doneness at minute 50.
- As soon as achieved, switch the pie to a wire rack and permit to chill fully at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours earlier than including the meringue topping. Pie could be made by means of this step as much as 1 day prematurely; cowl and preserve at room temperature earlier than including the topping.
- Make the marshmallow meringue: Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl. Set bowl over a saucepan stuffed with two inches of simmering water. Don’t let it contact the water. (You need to use a double boiler if in case you have one.) Whisk consistently till sugar is dissolved and combination has thinned out, about 4 minutes. The combination’s temperature taken with an instantaneous learn thermometer ought to be 160°F (71°C). If it’s not, preserve cooking and whisking till thinned out and temperature is heat sufficient. Take away from warmth. Add 1/2 teaspoon chai spice combine, after which utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat on excessive velocity for five minutes or till stiff shiny peaks kind. Style, and whip in slightly extra chai spice combine if in case you have any left/if desired.
- Unfold meringue on prime of cooled pie, or pipe with massive star piping tip corresponding to Wilton 1M. Serve instantly or retailer at room temperature or within the fridge, uncovered, for as much as 8 hours earlier than serving. If desired, toast the marshmallow topping with a kitchen torch simply earlier than serving. If you wish to use the oven to toast as an alternative, see detailed recipe Word.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers at room temperature for 1 day or within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You may make the pie by means of step 7 as much as 1 day prematurely; cowl and preserve at room temperature earlier than including the topping. Baked and cooled pie freezes effectively, with out the meringue topping, for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, after which proceed with step 8. You may make the pie crust dough forward of time as effectively; it has to sit back for a minimum of 2 hours, but it surely retains effectively within the fridge for as much as 5 days and the freezer for as much as 3 months, so make it prematurely and it’ll prevent time on the day you truly make this pie. If frozen, thaw pie crust dough within the fridge in a single day earlier than rolling out. The filling could be made the night time earlier than as effectively. In actual fact, I want it that approach. It offers the spices, pumpkin, and brown sugar flavors an opportunity to infuse and mix. Cowl and refrigerate in a single day. No must convey to room temperature earlier than pouring within the heat pie crust and baking.
- Particular Instruments: Pie Weights | Pastry Brush | Pie Crust Protect | Egg Separator | Pie Dish | Electrical Mixer (Stand Mixer or Handheld) | Kitchen Torch
- Pie Crust: Each linked pie crust recipes make 2 crusts. You solely want 1 crust for this pie, so freeze the 2nd half for one more use. If utilizing store-bought pie dough, you continue to must pre-bake it. If wanted, you need to use a graham cracker crust or gingersnap crust as an alternative of conventional pie crust. Pre-bake the crumb crust at 350°F (177°C) for 10 minutes. No want for pie weights if utilizing a crumb crust.
- Chai Spice Combine: You’ll be able to substitute nutmeg for the cloves, if most popular.
- Pumpkin: Canned pumpkin is greatest on this pumpkin pie recipe. Make sure that it’s labeled “pumpkin puree” and never “pumpkin pie filling.” If utilizing recent pumpkin puree, evenly blot it earlier than including to take away some moisture. The bake time could also be longer.
- Heavy Cream & Milk: Don’t substitute a lower-fat milk—the fats in complete milk is required. Be at liberty to make use of 1 cup of half-and-half as an alternative of heavy cream + complete milk.
- Topping: If you wish to skip the meringue topping, you possibly can serve this pie plain or topped with whipped cream. (Be at liberty so as to add a number of the chai spice combine, to style, to the whipped cream components earlier than you begin whipping it.)
- Toasting topping within the oven: As a substitute of a torch, you need to use your oven. Preheat to 450°F (232°C), and bake till the meringue begins to brown, normally about 2–3 minutes—preserve an in depth eye on it. You would additionally use the broiler, however I discover this technique shortly burns the uncovered crust, so I typically don’t advocate it until you cowl simply the crust with some aluminum foil.
Key phrases: spiced chai pumpkin meringue pie
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail sequence is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.