Your first intuition after a automotive accident could also be to name for assist. Do you’ve gotten a plan for what comes subsequent? Being proactive in your response may help preserve you, your passengers and your property protected whereas simplifying the method of submitting an insurance coverage declare.
- Think about shifting your automobile onto the shoulder or aspect of roadway to forestall additional harm.
- Stand a protected distance away from site visitors and if automobiles are severely broken, preserve a distance to keep away from unsafe circumstances resembling automotive fires or explosions.
- Activate your hazard lights and place security flares or indicators promptly to alert different drivers.
- Contact the police or verify they’ve been notified if you’re unable to position the decision your self.
- For accidents, contact medical help and await their arrival. Don’t administer first support until certified to take action.
Preserve your composure
- Stay calm. Preserve a transparent thoughts and focus in your security and gathering related info. If you’re driving a company-owned automobile, observe your organization’s reporting procedures as quickly as doable.
- Be courteous however chorus from accepting accountability or apologizing for something. It’s best to talk solely to a police officer when making statements concerning the accident.
- Don’t argue. Conditions can escalate shortly. It’s best to evaluation circumstances surrounding the accident with a police officer current.
- If doable, gather contact info of the responding officer. Make be aware of their identify, division, badge quantity and the incident report quantity.
- When applicable, request contact info from different concerned insured drivers together with identify, cellphone quantity and automobile license plate quantity. If an organization automobile is concerned, report the employer’s identify.
- Present solely the required contact info to others concerned within the accident; first and final identify, cellphone quantity and insurance coverage service ought to suffice. Scammers generally use an auto accident as a method to gather private info for identification theft.
- Accumulate any passenger or witness info and request that they continue to be on the website of the accident till police arrive. Passengers and witnesses can usually recount necessary particulars or circumstances that will help within the report.
Notice surrounding circumstances
- Absorb your environment and make notes in your personal future reference. If doable, take a couple of pictures to help your observations. Make a copy of our brochure in your glovebox (PDF 416k) that will help you report particulars after an accident.
- Notice contributing components resembling inclement climate, hazardous street circumstances, visible obstructions or defective site visitors indicators.
- Make be aware of any noticed accidents for people concerned within the accident and describe extra collateral harm to automobiles or property.
It’s most useful to report particulars sooner slightly than later. Gathering detailed info following your accident may help potential investigative wants and supply a transparent and concise description in your agent.
This loss management info is advisory solely. The writer assumes no accountability for administration or management of loss management actions. Not all exposures are recognized on this article. Contact your native, unbiased agent for insurance coverage protection recommendation and loss management info. Neither The Cincinnati Insurance coverage Firm nor its associates or representatives provide authorized recommendation. Seek the advice of together with your legal professional about your particular scenario.