Surya Namaskar is an energizing sequence of 12 poses performing which is a approach of paying tribute to the Solar. It’s a holistic follow that integrates asana, pranayama (synchronized respiration), and 12 mantras altogether in a single sequence.
Coming to its advantages, Surya namaskar is a complete physique exercise – from strengthening the muscular tissues and joints to enhancing the effectivity of inner organs and detoxifying the physique.
With these advantages, the query arises – is it protected to carry out throughout being pregnant?
As being pregnant is a fragile time for ladies, sure yoga practices are restricted as time passes from the early days to the tip of being pregnant. It’s because any small anomaly, pressure, or damage can hurt the lady’s physique and her unborn child.
So is it alright to carry out an energizing and fast-paced surya namaskar throughout being pregnant?
Let’s discover out.
Is it protected to carry out Surya Namaskar throughout being pregnant?
The small reply is sure, offered you’ve been practising it earlier than being pregnant.
A extra detailed reply is that; within the 1st and third trimesters, pregnant ladies need to take utmost precautions when performing Surya namaskar. Actually, asanas must be modified in a approach that may accommodate a pregnant girl’s physique and doesn’t create any discomfort.
In the course of the 1st trimester, your being pregnant is at an early stage and the probabilities of miscarriage are additionally excessive. Within the third trimester, your stomach is protruded considerably which impacts your steadiness and proprioception. Any pressure throughout these trimesters will be harmful to you and the fetus’ well being and progress.
Nevertheless, through the 2nd trimester, you’ll be able to simply carry out surya namaskar, however at a slower tempo. You continue to must take precautions with motion and customization of the poses.
Additionally Learn: A Full Information for Novices to Get Began with Solar Salutation
Factors to recollect to carry out Surya Namaskar throughout being pregnant
Regardless that the complete part of being pregnant is delicate and liable to well being risks, the early phases of being pregnant are extraordinarily essential to the life and well being of the mother-to-be and the fetus. You’ll want to be additional cautious in not straining your belly muscular tissues and having discomfort in any a part of your physique.
For this, it’s essential deal with the next factors earlier than you begin performing surya namaskar:
1. Seek the advice of your physician
Earlier than beginning surya namaskar, or some other bodily follow, you need to seek the advice of your physician. Discuss intimately about your well being, issues, issues you need to and shouldn’t do, and many others. Make sure of all issues which are vital in your being pregnant.
2. Don’t begin a brand new follow
In case you have not been performing surya namaskar earlier than being pregnant, you shouldn’t begin your follow now. Doing one thing new could cause pressure or discomfort which must be averted. You possibly can customise your follow when you have already been practising surya namaskar or some other yoga practices.
3. Be gradual and delicate together with your physique
This goes with out saying that the tempo of performing surya namaskar throughout being pregnant must be slowed all the way down to an appropriate tempo.
You could perform every of the 12 asanas slowly and intentionally. For those who expertise any sort of discomfort or struggling, don’t drive your self to do any asanas. Use props and help throughout follow. And should you simply usually are not snug doing an asana, it’s higher to skip or modify it somewhat than drive your physique to carry out it.
4. Take skilled help
Many prenatal yoga lessons cater to performing yoga for a pregnant girl.
It’s higher that you just enroll in such lessons as they are going to let you know precisely how one can follow surya namaskar with out harming your physique and fetus. For those who do not need any such lessons close by, seek for on-line lessons or consultants that may educate you a modified model of surya namaskar. Since they’re skilled in educating pregnant ladies, they’re higher geared up with the information and know-how of performing yoga.
Additionally Learn: Prenatal Yoga Poses for Being pregnant, Advantages, Security Suggestions
5. Make a behavior of standard follow
Until you’ve some issues in your being pregnant, ensure you are persevering with together with your follow repeatedly. Even when it’s important to carry out it at a a lot slower tempo than you might be used to, you’ll nonetheless get the advantages of surya namaskar. Don’t carry out it randomly.
6. Take heed to your physique
A lady’s physique goes by means of a ton of modifications day by day, particularly throughout being pregnant. You could hearken to your physique when performing surya namaskar. Be cognizant of any discomfort, ache, pressure, or stress in any a part of your physique. It’s best to even take into accounts your psychological modifications. In case you are not feeling as much as it, you need to keep away from practising it somewhat than forcing your self.
The significance of savasana (corpse pose) can’t be confused sufficient.
Once you lay in corpse pose after solar salutation, you aren’t merely mendacity down, you might be giving time to your physique to soak in all of the energetic modifications the follow of surya namaskar has dropped at your physique. You might be giving time to your thoughts to launch stress, tiredness, fatigue, and nervousness.
It’s the remaining step earlier than you stand up and begin your day. That is additionally the time when you’ll be able to spend a while together with your unborn child and join with it.
The right way to Do Solar Salutation Throughout Being pregnant – A Modified Sequence
The standard solar salutation yoga poses will be modified to really feel extra snug and to raised put together your physique for delivery as your tummy grows. These will be integrated into your day by day life at any level throughout your being pregnant.
- Start by standing together with your ft unfold greater than hip distance aside in Mountain pose (Tadasana). The space between your legs will be as per your stomach progress or the necessity of the hour.
- To enter urdhva hastasana (upward salute), inhale and lift your arms and prolong your arms upward. Be part of your arms or hold them separated at your comfort.
- Exhale whereas bending your knees and hinging ahead out of your knees to carry out modified Uttanasana (Standing ahead bend). Whereas protecting your knees bent, place your arms between your ft on the mat or your shins. You may as well hold your arms in Anjali mudra together with your elbows in your thighs.
- Inhale and take your proper leg again for the Ashwasanchalasana (low lunge). Your left hand will be positioned exterior the left leg to create more room in your stomach within the later months. Bending the knee of the correct leg and putting it on the mat can also be acceptable. Furthermore, taking the correct leg additional in direction of the correct may also create house in your stomach.
- Exhale and transfer your left leg again for the plank pose (phalakasana). If you do not need to place strain in your physique, decrease your knees gently onto the bottom to carry out this pose. For those who carry out the standard plank, don’t maintain this pose for an extended period.
- It’s higher to skip Knees-Chest-Chin Pose (Ashtanga Namaskara) and Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana) to keep away from any pressure on the stomach and decrease again. After the plank, inhale and pause for a couple of seconds and transfer on to the subsequent pose.
- Exhale and decrease your arms for chaturanga dandasana (four-limbed employees pose). Even for this pose, you’ll be able to decrease your knees to the bottom, if you weren’t doing it within the plank pose.
- Inhale and are available again to the plank place together with your knees nonetheless on the bottom. You even have the choice of skipping the chaturanga dandasana whether it is uncomfortable.
- Exhale and gently carry your hips and knees to return to a downward canine pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana). Preserve your legs wider aside for steadiness and stability. Within the later months, you’ll be able to both keep away from this pose or follow the milder tabletop variation.
- Inhale and convey your proper foot ahead for Ashwasanchalasana (low lunge). Comply with the identical means of hand place meant as you probably did initially. In case your foot doesn’t attain the entrance of your mat in a single movement, that’s okay. If required, take a couple of little steps or transfer it alongside together with your hand.
- Exhale and slowly convey your left leg to the entrance with the correct leg. Place the left foot exterior the left hand. Preserve your arms on the mat together with your knees bent. Identical to the preliminary modified Uttanasana (Standing ahead bend), place your arms both on the mat, your shins, or in anjali mudra with elbows in your thighs.
- Inhale and gently straighten your legs whereas extending your arms overhead urdhva hastasana (upward salute).
- Exhale and decrease your arms for the mountain pose (tadasana).
For those who really feel snug and repeat the complete sequence with the left foot. In case you’re feeling drained or exhausted, one spherical is greater than sufficient. Lie down in savasana for some much-needed relaxation.
Advantages of Surya Namaskar for being pregnant
Regardless that you might be performing modified surya namaskar, the advantages you achieve out of it are the identical as the standard follow. You might be gifted with a peaceful and relaxed thoughts with a provide of vitality all through the day. This additional helps in managing your temper swings and maintaining with hormonal modifications. A relaxed thoughts results in a wholesome coronary heart that retains away issues like hypertension.
There are lots of extra advantages, which have been listed under:
- Enhances blood and oxygen circulation because of synchronized inhalations and exhalations.
- Helps handle and cut back stress by boosting the manufacturing of hormones and calming the thoughts.
- Aids in adapting to bodily and psychological modifications by calming and stress-free your thoughts and inspiring you to embrace the modifications.
- Prevents frequent temper swings by stimulating the endocrine system favorably and bolstering hormonal steadiness.
- Assists in weight administration as you stretch and strengthen all of the muscular tissues of your physique making up for good bodily train.
- Alleviates again and leg pains as the continual stream of asanas relieve you of ongoing muscular aches and pains by strengthening your again, legs, and core muscular tissues.
- Supplies vitality all through the day by connecting physique, thoughts, and breath when carried out within the morning.
- Prevents pregnancy-induced hypertension as the mixture of asana with breath strengthens your cardiovascular system which controls your blood strain.
- Prevents the onset of gestational diabetes by enhancing the manufacturing of insulin and decreasing blood sugar ranges.
- Prepares the physique for childbirth because it makes your physique versatile and trains your thoughts to remain calm in hectic conditions resembling labor ache.
- Improves your sense of coordination, proprioception, and steadiness.
- Can enhance the standard of sleep within the later phases of being pregnant.
- Promote glowing, well-nourised, and wholesome pores and skin and hair.
Being pregnant does include plenty of modifications and a type of modifications will be to carry out a modified surya namaskar. In case you have been doing it even earlier than you grew to become pregnant, and don’t have any issues, you simply must tweak it just a little bit. The advantages you’re going to get will make this part straightforward to deal with.