Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each cause to be excessive on the listing for journey bucket lists.
The town is a mix of influences, there’s the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil conflict and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat neighborhood and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and kinds.
Possibly you need to keep within the coronary heart of the outdated city and Gothic structure, or do you need to expertise the mix of metropolis and seashore in Barceloneta? It could possibly be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda particular person and need to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, limitless purchasing alternatives and Gaudi round what looks as if nearly each nook.
Both approach, now we have one of the best of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E-mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: In search of extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve bought a publish about our favourite meals & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely suggest. We even have extra posts on journey in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to seek out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Suggestions
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed here are just a few suggestions that will help you put together in your journey to Barcelona.
- Be conscious of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The very best months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are snug, and the town parks and tree-lined avenues look lovely. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together just a few Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a fundamental grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you will get away with English, though most vacationer locations do communicate English!
- Keep secure: Pickpockets are a giant downside in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you’re more likely to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your cellphone on a desk, hold your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey carrying an expensive-looking watch and hold your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. All the time be vigilant!
- Eat all of the food and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with a lot of recent hearty substances, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There may be additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite method to eat! Cava can also be made within the area so respectable cava prices little or no. Take a meals and wine tour in case you can to expertise it multi function afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The proper abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer workforce. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply follow Barcelona.
- Convey snug strolling sneakers: The town is extremely walkable however elements of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you notice whereas gawking on the structure. So pack respectable sneakers you already know will hold your ft completely satisfied and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve bought a Barcelona self-guided strolling tour – and we’ve additionally bought ideas for one of the best strolling sneakers for journey. Listed here are our favourite journey sneakers for males and for ladies.
- Completely different areas even have totally different hyperlinks to different elements of the town: The metro system is great and pretty simple to navigate however in case you desire to keep away from utilizing it or buses then that you must base your self strolling distance to the stuff you need to see or a minimum of on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and adjustments. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so consider the place you need to be in relation to the place you need to keep.
- Keep away from short-term condominium leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot increased than is inexpensive for residents and creating numerous scams and disparity. Accommodations had been badly affected by the pandemic in order that they deserve the assist quite than grasping property house owners who would quite depart an condominium empty as a substitute of renting it for an affordable worth to an area. There are even new legal guidelines proscribing vacationer licenses and you’re not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a resort!
- In case your check-in and check-out occasions don’t sync up together with your must roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, take a look at LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a secure place to maintain your baggage whilst you’re working round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods known as barrios, every with its personal distinct character, vibe and enchantment. To the uninitiated, it’s possible you’ll wrestle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I bought you coated!
As with many cities, there’s additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see buyers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low cost hippy retailers promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that type of place!
This provides to the appeal of the town, you’re at all times only a brief stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing fully totally different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make looking down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – all the things your coronary heart needs might be present in Barcelona!
Previous Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The outdated a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers once they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of the town. Filled with outdated winding streets, lovely historic buildings, church buildings, lovable eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will discover Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is one of the best place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nevertheless, you do want to select rigorously as some streets are a bit shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in in case you don’t see daylight out of your resort room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of the town and is a brief stroll to the seashore, with elements of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The realm can also be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry in case you are an early morning sort of particular person.
That is additionally one of the best place to base your self in case you are planning on taking our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona. A lot of the tour covers this space and can also be the place you end so you’re a brief stroll again to your resort afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a mix of expensive motels on this space in addition to some severely price range hostels. Beneath are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a kind of good types of hostels with clear, shiny rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a reasonably, outdated church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing a bit fancier Barcelona Resort Colonial is correct within the coronary heart of Gothic in a gorgeous colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in every other route takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as potential to the eccentric La Rambla then the Might Ramblas Resort is the one for you. It’s positioned just a few doorways down a aspect road from La Rambla and can also be the identical road you head all the way down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these trying extra for the seashore vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s nearly not possible to get misplaced. To at least one aspect is Port Vell, to the south is the seashore, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer season Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a good place to really feel you’re staying proper on the seashore with out lacking out on that Barcelona outdated metropolis appeal. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different elements of the town however the seashore environment is nearly year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seashore bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are at all times individuals skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are just a few bigger motels on this space as you’ll count on with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark resort The W, lovely and epic views however out of price range for many vacationers! You may nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, in case you can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the street from the place the barrio begins, the Resort Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in the direction of the marina. From right here you’ll be able to entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a brief stroll.
- Resort 54 Barceloneta is correct on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seashore, this might be my choose if going for the seashore resort choice. The rooftop bar can also be like a bit backyard paradise, excellent for resting after an extended day of exploring.
- For a extra price range room, the Sea Hostel is a good choose for dorm room-style lodging, it is usually subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly wonderful pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seashore.
Welcome to Eixample, the world that you simply’ll see most in aerial pictures of Barcelona, these excellent pink sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of the town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by means of, it’s the place the designer retailers are and can also be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, apart from the irritating pink gentle cease/begin system which does make site visitors heavier right here. However most motels have respectable sound insulation so you’ll be able to keep away from site visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona fashion with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and exquisite balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and plenty of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply hold stumbling into one other lovely constructing after one other, and in case you get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The purchasing can also be unimaginable right here with all the things from high-end designer shops, to excessive road purchasing, to impartial boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the resort, that is the place to do it.
This space can also be rather well related with public transport, the buses run commonly and there are numerous metro stations in addition to prepare stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
READ THIS POST
The Final Packing Listing: 43 Should-Have Journey Objects (by a Full-Time Journey Blogger
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’ll count on there isn’t any scarcity of motels in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end motels. Listed here are some fo one of the best ones:
- Once I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran Through and it’s the place I like to recommend associates to remain for an important worth resort. The workers was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are shiny and cozy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Resort Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a good selection, and although the worth is a bit increased it’s not eye-watering. You might go all out for a collection with a non-public terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally pretty.
- If you wish to exit your resort to the scent of recent bread and pastries then that you must e book Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply ensure to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the long-lasting Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your essential cause for visiting Barcelona, and no one will choose you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You may meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and usually gaze on the unimaginable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant decisions aren’t the greatest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and straightforward to get to different elements of the town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
After all, in case you are staying on this space then you definately completely want a resort with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most affordable rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced motels value checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced flats with a gorgeous shared roof terrace overlooking the long-lasting church. Right here you will get the bonus of a non-public condominium whereas nonetheless having the chance to get pleasure from a shared house with fellow vacationers.
- For a resort choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has shiny rooms, an important breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic method to spend a day in case you ask me!
In search of a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an impartial city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and pleased with their neighborhood.
Now the world is fashionable and stuffed with impartial retailers, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place individuals hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato retailers close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however appears like a distinct world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are principally pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The realm can also be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is extensively often called one of the best. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for one of the best decor. Though remember in case you go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t count on any peace and quiet, the events can go on all evening!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary selection amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit a bit hidden gem, and motels are typically a bit cheaper too.
- Resort Ronda Lesseps is a cute resort with a gorgeous inside courtyard backyard hooked up to the resort bar. It is usually only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of the town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell resort, costs aren’t vastly totally different however it’s barely extra outdoors the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in motels are an actual deal with however they do get busy so keep in mind to order a solar lounger in your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona
In case you are like the remainder of Group Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you can be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a good place to journey together with your furry greatest pal.
Most eating places are accommodating, numerous retailers have water bowls outdoors for passing canines and it isn’t unusual to see canines becoming a member of purchasing journeys. My canine loves coming purchasing, it often means getting a lot of love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you’ll be able to carry your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nevertheless, simply remember that in the summertime months (from Might to October) canines aren’t allowed on the principle seashores so you’ll have to discover the canine seashore simply outdoors the principle metropolis heart.
Once I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly resort and I’ve just a few associates who’ve additionally executed the identical. Numerous motels are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So in case you journey together with your little pal these are one of the best locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This resort is correct reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far among the best parks for canines within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine house owners with pups enjoying on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The resort can also be a brief stroll to the seashore and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring the town. The resort itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and magnificence, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There may be additionally a beautiful outside space to get pleasure from an aperitif.
- Resort Balmes: An actual gem of a resort, they really have a particular package deal for canines, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can also be delicate to their particular guests. There may be additionally an African artwork assortment all through the resort, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran Through: This resort has 2 places not too removed from one another, as talked about once I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran Through resort and it was actually unimaginable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the workers are wonderful and really accommodating. The identical vibe can also be at their different resort Diputación, each are in Eixample and rather well positioned for accessing the remainder of the town.
READ THIS POST
The right way to Be a Extra Accountable Vacationer: a Traveler's Information to Moral Tourism
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly secure and there are few areas to keep away from, these are often simply sure streets quite than complete areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious quite than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however in case you are an skilled traveler and hold your wits about you, you’ll be superb. It helps to remember that Barcelona has numerous poverty and the typical wage completely doesn’t match the price of dwelling and housing right here.
There may be additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless individuals in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from the town totally as nobody space is best than others.
Except for that, there are some areas of the town which can be simply not value staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Typically whenever you hear tales of pickpockets, you’re listening to tales of Raval, which is positioned to the west aspect of La Rambla.
The realm is charming in its personal approach, however I wouldn’t suggest it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling residence in the dead of night will not be advisable.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: In case you are nonetheless in search of the quirky outdated city fashion that elements of Raval have then keep in Gothic as a substitute. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of outdated buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. Might Ramblas Resort is nicely positioned for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of the town and could be very residential. Housing might be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a distinct clientele than what most vacationers could be interested by.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout the town might be pretty however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so will probably be an extended stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra appeal and simpler entry to the remainder of the town. Additionally take into account Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery offers you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
For those who hunt for lodging that’s easy accessibility to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, it is usually near the long-lasting Montjuïc which is great to discover. It’s also possible to go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nevertheless, to get wherever you’ll need to leap on the metro or prepare, it’s nicely related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of the town you should have fairly an extended stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can gradual you down.
Additionally as it’s a essential transport connection level it does are typically actually busy within the stations, which may get overwhelming in case you are determining how you can get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: For simple entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place that you must be in addition to the Sants cease does. It is usually a essential level for the airport shuttle buses to start out from, which is by far the simplest method to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is rather well positioned for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s various info! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here now we have an at a look abstract:
- The Finest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Previous Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Finest Accommodations in Barcelona: Finest choices are Barcelona Resort Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran Through and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Finest Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran Through and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can not beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and brief time period condominium leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities world wide. Discovering an precise residence within the metropolis is an actual downside and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the typical particular person can not afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t executed a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we suggest you to be a accountable traveler and select to remain in motels as a substitute, which had been in fact closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the greatest concepts of the place to remain so you’ll be able to plan the remainder of your journey! When you are within the starting stage don’t overlook to enroll in our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover the town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you’re most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback under
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? We’ve got explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for in a while Pinterest!